Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer Lovin'

This is inexcusably late given how long ago this deal took place, but here is the Tru Fax nod to the Modano signing and Kenny's struggle to land him ;P

Summer Lovin'

Kenny Holland is standing in his red bathrobe, frantically searching through his closet. He’s flinging clothes left and right apparently not finding what he’s looking for.

KH: No. No. No, no, no. Argh! I don’t have anything to wear!

Giving up, Kenny starts rifling through the clothes on his bed until he finds his cell phone. He hits speed dial. KH: Come over here. Right now! This is an emergency!

In a few minutes, Mike Babcock squeals into the driveway. He bursts into his friend’s room, Death Glare drawn and ready, prepared to vanquish evil. He finds Kenny holding shirts in front of himself as he stands in front of the mirror.

Babcock: What.

Kenny runs to him and flings his arms around him: Oh thank God you’re here!

Babcock: I thought you said this was an emergency?

KH: A fashion emergency. I’m meeting Mike Modano in 3 hours and I have nothing to wear. You have to help me. Please!

Babcock: I would punch you if you weren’t so pathetic. What’s wrong with what you’ve got on now?

KH: This is a bathrobe!

Babcock: I was kidding. That was a joke. Sit down, I’ll find you something.

Kenny sits down on his bed while Babs goes to stare down his closet until the proper outfit surrenders itself.

KH: I’m just so nervous. WE could be really great together, you know? I know he’s a little older and everybody thought he and Dallas were going to be together forever, but I really think we could make it work. The town could be good for him, you know? I just hope I don’t mess it up.

Babcock: One Modano date outfit, coming right up!
He throws the clothes and Kenny and flees form the room.

KH: A Hawaiian shirt? I you really sure that’s going to make the right impression?

While Kenny primps, Babcock, explores his house. On his rounds he finds a room with fresh red and white paint.

Ilitch: Nice, isn’t it?

Babs: Ah! Where did you come from?

Ilitch: Oh, I’m going to the game with you kids. Waiting for Kenny. It’s adorable how he’s so nervous about his little date.

Babs: *cough* Adorable. Right. What’s with the room.

Ilitch smiles at some inner secret and chuckles: Oh I’m just getting ready. It’s never too early to start planning. I don’t want to jinx anything but *winks and nudges Babs with his elbow* Cuppy, cuppy, cuppy, you know?

Babs: Er, sure.

Ilitch claps him on the shoulder and heads off down the hall: Ooh hoo hoo! Cuppy, cuppy, cuppy, I am feeling it.

Babs: Kenny, make it snappy!


Comerica Park

It’s a hot, sticky day, but Kenny drags both Mikes to the game well before the gates are open. He paces wildly outside the par, fretting and annoying everyone in the vicinity.

KH: Why isn’t he here yet? Do you think he’s not coming? Do you think his plane crashed? What if he ditched me to go to Minnesota? I don’t think I can take it.

Death Stare: *fires a warning shot across the bow*

Babcock: Stop it! He’s not dead; he’s on his way. He’s not here yet because the sun just rose ten minutes ago. He’s going to love you. But if you don’t man up, he’s going to have to love you in spite of your horrible Death Stare Disfigurement.

Pause.

KH: Do you think he’ll like my shirt?

By the time Modano and his father arrive, Babcock has already sniped three pigeons and a Blackhawks’ fan to keep from strangling his friend. Luckily inside Ilitch’s box there is plenty of alcohol to mellow his mood. Kenny and Modano skirt around the edges of the room, occasionally making eye contact, but then looking away and running to hide behind chairs.

Babcock: *dragging Kenny by his collar* You made me come with you, now get in there and close the deal.

KH: *trips* Oof

Mike reaches down to help him up: Uh, hi. Mike Modano, unrestricted free agent.

KH: Ken Holland, brilliant general manager

Modano: I like your shirt

KH: *giggles* Thanks, you look good too.

The ice broken, Kenny gets down to business. He modestly extols the virtues of the kick as team the Wings have built this year and tells Modano he believes he could be the final missing piece that will enable them to take over the world bring home the cup. Mike is clearly intrigued, but hesitant..

Modano: That sounds great, Kenny, really. But these last few years with Dallas have really worn me down. I thought we were going to be together forever. I don’t know if I’ll ever be ready to make a commitment to another team.

KH: *sadface* No, I understand

Modano: But if I was going to be with anyone, Kenny, it would be you.

KH: *blushes*

Finishing off a six pack, Babcock shimmies between the two of them and slings an arm over each of their shoulders.

Babcock: We’re gonna have a great year this year, boys. You know how I know? Because you’re perfect for each other. I never liked those Dallas skanks anyway, you know. You’re better off without them, Mike. You mind if I call you Mike?

Modano: Um, sure.

Babcock: Yes sir, a match made in heaven. He how’s that wife of yours, Mike. She’s a fox isn’t she?

Across the box…

Ilitch: Yessiree, Mr. M. Cuppy, cuppy, cuppy, you know?

Mr. M: *checking his watch* Um… right. Mikey, we gotta go if we’re gonna catch our flight.

As father yanks him to the waiting limo, Mike waves at Kenny: I’ll text you!

KH: Did you hear that? You were right, he’s going to text me!

Babcock: *buuuurp*

One Week Later


Kenny is driving in BC when he decides to call Babs

Babcock: *in the middle of preparing stir fry* Don’t you have any other friends?

KH: He hasn’t texted me!

Babcock: Well he probably just hates you.

KH: What!?

Babcock: You know, if I go deaf, you’ll have no one to whine to. Who are we talking about again?

KH: Modano! Mike Modano. We went to the ball game last week!

Babcock: And you haven’t heard from him?

KH: No

Babcock: Right. I’m going to try and say this as nicely as possible. *ahem* Why don’t you just call him, you pansy?

KH: I can’t do that! He said he’d text me. I don’t want to pressure him. What if I freak him out? I don’t want him to think I’m too intense.

Babcock: *mutters* Noooo, we wouldn’t want to be too intense.

KH: What? What are you saying? I think you’re breaking up.

Babcock: *turns on kitchen fan* What? I can’t hear you. I better hang up now.

KH: Wait! Tell me what to do!

Babcock: *big sigh* Fine. Don’t call him. Let Minnesota get their claws in him. See if I care.

KH: Mike!
Babcock: The house is going through a tunnel, I can’t hear you. Bye!

KH: Hello? Hello? *throws the phone onto the passenger seat*

KH: Call him. Don’t call him. Call him. You’ll scare him off. Maybe he wants you to make the first move. Don’t call him. What if he’s meeting with Dallas? What if San Jose called? Call him. Don’t bother; he probably just used you for a free baseball game.

This thinking goes on in much the same way for twenty miles or so and Kenny has just about convinced himself he needs to forget about Modano. He reaches for his phone, thinking about giving Malts a call when he sees a blinking envelope on the screen.

Text Message: How’s it going? ♥ Mike

KH: * reads the message a 2nd and 3rd time to be sure he’s not imagining things before texting back: Fine, how are you?*

Text message: Not bad. I’ve been thinking about you.

Kenny’s eyes turn to hearts as he floats into the air on cloud nine, narrowly avoiding crashing into a speeding Audi: Yes! Woo hoo!

Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment